8.05.2008

Concert Summer

I am in idiot-girl mode lately I think. I just realized today that I talked last week about the baseball game experience, completely ignoring one the best concerts I have been to in a while. (We saw Dave Matthews Band a few weeks ago with some friends, which was good, but I am not as into them as I have been in the past.) As a delayed part of my birthday present, we drove up to Raleigh last Tuesday to see The Counting Crows and Maroon 5, which I wasn't too crazy about seeing (the lead singer's voice just irritates me). CC was really good, but I wish I chose a show where it was just them. They got cut a bit short to leave time for Maroon 5 (fortunately we didn't have to sit through them) and although Adam's beautiful ramblings were every bit as delicious as they seem on their live albums, I wanted more! At one point during "Round Here" I realized that tears were running down my cheeks, which makes me the sap that I am, but it was moving. I will definitely be back for more. The surprise of the night though was Sara Bareilles, who was opening for them both. I had heard her "Love Song" on a tv commercial a while back and got the album, so I was familiar with her music and liked it pretty well. But out of the gate, she was fantastic! You know sometimes people sound really great on their album and then you hear them live and it's like, "What the hell is that?". But with her and her band, that disconnect was not there. She was funny and personable and with her powerhouse voice, she was probably the highlight of the evening. My hubby asked, Didn't I like the CC? (since they are my favorite favorite band), and I said that I did, but I liked her a lot as well, maybe because I expected more of them and less from her. We splurged (it was, after all, a birthday present) on actual seats instead of the lawn (it is an amphitheater), because we thought it would be nicer closer to the stage and in case in rains, we'd be covered. Good thinking, but I thoroughly enjoyed the lawn seats for DMB, and I am glad we got lawn seats for Jack Johnson on the 12th. It was stifling until about an hour into the concert, when the sun started to go down. You're stuck in this one little plastic chair, which sticks mercilessly to your sweaty skin, or the two feet in front of it, and you end up with a crick in your neck trying to see around the guy in front of you and an aching arm from trying not to bump the person 2 inches beside you. And, unless you want to lose your $6 bottle of water down the aisle, you better hold on to it (the cup holders ended two rows in front of us). I'll take a little blanket and breathing room on the lawn any day. Plus, there's just something about the open-air that makes summer concerts that much sweeter. :)

No comments: