10.17.2008

finally!

I have finally had some crafty time and boy did I ever!

Firstly, because I cannot contain my excitement, I won my first anything in the stamping world!! Last week, the challenge at Hero Arts was to make a masculine card. I am not good at masculine cards (I guess no one else is either, thus, the name "challenge"). I never seem to know what to do. And I wasn't planning on entering. But I had a belated birthday card to make, fast, as it was already late, so I whipped this up:
I used Hero Arts stamps (the croc I already had on hand, colored and cut), some fun plaid paper and my new favorite, BoBunny dot paper. I added some orange vellum scraps, ribbon, and rain dots. This card was actually for a non-girly woman, and I thought it could masquerade as masculine too, so I submitted it....and won! First prize! Yay for me! :)

I have been able to get a few other things done this week...I was directed to a neat blog (the address of which I seem to have misplaced right now...) by another Hero Arts flickr group member for some tips on a neat inking technique. So I gave that a go with my new Inkadinkado Halloween stamps and am really pleased with the result:
And tonight, since I will spend the rest of the weekend glued to my desk, writing the first draft of my final paper (which I am soo not prepared for...), I got a couple other cards done. The first is for my uncle's birthday-playing with a concept I saw in last week's challenge, layering circle stamped images:
The second one uses a little leaf punch I bought in a $1 bin at Target (because I am obsessed with those things..."it's only a dollar, right?"). I thought it would be fun to use colored paper scraps and make a little wreath out of the leaves (I saw a similar thing at Impress Rubber Stamps website). Kept it simple (and kind of elegant for my normal style) with a gold embossed sentiment and I quite like how it came out:

I have also just finished a sinister-looking Halloween wreath for the front door, and as soon as we get a good hook for it, and it is hung up (out of the line of sight of all my junk here in the office), I will take a picture to put up here.

Since I already mentioned one blog, I suppose I'll mention a couple of other online things that are getting me lately:
1) I found a recipe for Berry Pavlovas (which I made and which were indeed fabulous) on this blog the other day. Check it out if you're food inclined, as it seems she has lots of other goodies there!
2) I am hooked on Pandora, an internet radio that matches you up with music that is similar to something you already like. The site is really straightforward and lots of fun--I have "discovered" several artists that I never knew existed but that are just my taste!

For now, I am off to do some reading and go to bed. Hope everyone has a good weekend! :)



2 comments:

Scrapper With the Catch of Her Life said...

Hey Elana! Loved your card...congratulations on your win! I have left you an award on my blog...come over & check it out at http://createdbyjb.typepad.com/created_by_jb/.

Thanks!
Jenn (scrapperjjb)

dominodebi said...

Elana, congrats on your win at HA! And I love the Halloween card - please find that address for the inking technique. Do your remember which discussion thread had it? Good luck on your paper!

Deborah aka Gigi
http://dominodebi.typepad.com