5.11.2009

The busy month of May!

May is a busy busy month around here! Looking at my calendar I count: Mother's Day, 6 birthdays (including my own!), and an anniversary--all in the span of 9 days. That means lots of cardmaking going on in my studio and lots of shares coming to you.

First I have a quick announcement about my Etsy shop: I am now a proud member of the Etsy Greetings Team! This seems to be a great team who works together to promote each other's shops and offer fun challenges and support. I am excited to be joining. I have already seen some more exposure, including being a featured shop on one member's blog, The Downtown Boutique. There she features all sorts of wonderful handmade items. Check out this post and the right hand sidebar for my feature. You can also check out her Etsy shop, Rio Oso Designs, with lovely graphic design work.

Now onto some shares!! :)

First I wanted to show you the card I made for my mom to go with her banner, which she loved. I wanted it to have a similar feel, but threw in some girly pink to go with it. And I am in love with the fabulous satin ribbon from Papertrey Ink--must get more!!

Supplies: All stamps, card stock, ribbon-Papertrey Ink; trim-Wyla; ink-Colorbox chalk; border punch-Fiskars

This next one is a card I whipped up for our niece, who is turning 17. I am never good with this age group, being that I never was a typical teenage girl myself, so I always come up with something that seems just not quite right. This time, though, I think I got it right. (I like it so much, in fact, that you may be seeing it again in my shop!!) And, the funny part is that the card ended up matching almost exactly the Old Navy gift card and envelope that we put in it--so not intentional, but fun. This is kind of rock star cool, don't ya think? :)
The sentiment is embossed in silver, but I couldn't get a good shot of it in the fading sun.

The inside has a simple and super quick stapled pocket for the gift card. The message is behind it.

I also wanted to share this neat technique that I learned by [happy] accident. I wanted to put some Glossy Accents over the top of those hearts that I had colored in with pencil, but I didn't want to wait for it to dry, so I thought I would try out my Zig new embossing pen. After I little trouble starting (thus the wierd blue hue on the first heart), I got it rolling and colored all the hearts in quickly and embossed with clear powder. Apparently, the embossing ink doesn't quite stick to the waxy colored pencil, so when it heated up it left this crystally look, like melted sugar. Reminds me of creme brulee! But either way, it turned out to be a perfect look for the top of a cupcake! I will definitely try this look again.

Supplies
: pink and gray card stock-Bazzill; white and black cardstock, sentiment-Papertrey Ink; cupcake image-Studio G; ribbon-Offray; metal dots-Colorbok; other: embossing pen (Zig) , clear & silver embossing powder (Ranger), Versamark ink, border punch (Fiskars), gray marker (Staedtler), staples


That's all I've got for you today, but there's more to come. Thanks for stopping by and happy Monday!

No comments: