9.24.2009

Birthday Projects-episode 1


As I explained previously, this month is a crazy time for birthdays in my social circle. Seven, that's right, SEVEN, in one month. I have been busy lately working on various projects for friends and relatives and can now share them! I am going to start off with the kids: my younger sister, nephew, and niece.

This year, perhaps because I am lame, perhaps because I have been running around like a crazy chicken for too long, I decided to go the easy way and give them all the same gift, with variations. I was recently reminded of these drawing books that I remember from when I was a kid:

And, always one to try and foster the arts in young minds, I decided they would be a fabulous gift. So each kid got one of these books, a pack of brand new markers, a handmade (of course) card, and a coordinating handmade note/sketchbook personalized for each of them. (They also each got $25, too. Come on, I'm not that lame...)

The first project I will share is for the earliest birthday, my sister Hannah, who turned 13. She is most definitely not your typical tween. Any favorite outfit of hers requires camouflage. She hates pink and anything that might look like it could possibly belong to a girl. So, making her something is always tricky, but I think I succeeded! Here are the goods:

The card. The inside has a pocket and reads "just sending birthday wishes".
This airplane took some serious hot glue, but was well worth it for the cool factor! :)This book is a basic Canson sketchbook from the craft store (about $2 each, I think). I removed the cover and added a new one. They are a nice size for small notes/drawings: 3.5" x 5".

I used the new Cosmo Cricket line, The Boyfriend, which I love love! Other supplies listed below. One day here soon I'll be back with another card/notebook set. Until then...

Card:
cardstock, ink, twine, green bitty box patterned paper: Papertrey Ink
patterned paper: Cosmo Cricket
stamp (hey!): Hero Arts
other: white gel pen, hot glue

Notebook:
cardstock, ink, stamps (letters, grid, text): Papertrey Ink
patterned paper, journaling spot, arrow sticker: Cosmo Cricket
Other: white gel pen, embroidery floss

1 comment:

DominoDebi said...

Elana, I feel for you with the multiple birthdays - thank goodness they aren't all in December, eh?

I have a blog award for you if you're interested in it! Just go here:
http://dominodebi.typepad.com/sos/2009/09/the-meme-award.html

Blessings to you!