5.01.2010

Ribbon-y goodness...


Hello friends...

How many of you are still around, reading? Looking at the date stamp on my last post, over 2 months have passed since I last visited. And gosh, but it has been a crazy time! For those of you who may not know, I am full time grad student and have been working toward completing my MA. This is my last semester and I have been busy busy, but! I will graduate next weekend and I am excited to relax a bit and of course, have some time to create and share here!

Today is already the 1st of May--I can't believe it--and that means the Senior DT group challenge over at Papertrey Ink. This month Nichole challenged the girls to create something with ribbon. I was particularly inspired by Betsy Veldman. Her colorful and whimsical creations always speak to me, so today I had to do some crafting. My niece's upcoming birthday was the perfect excuse to use some of Betsy's techniques seen in this post.

First off a trick I have used before (which came from Betsy then, too): three little buttons wrapped around a big juicy bow! *click on the photos to enlarge*
This card uses PTI's Butterfly Dreams set and the coordinating die (which even cuts felt beautifully!), along with some Basic Grey patterned paper that I have been hoarding.

Then, since I just had to try Betsy's ribbon embellies, I made a coordinating journal. We usually end up giving all the kids in the family money for birthdays and what not, but I like them to have a little something to open up. :)
I used an entire 8.5 x 11 sheet to make a cover for two of PTI's skinny notepads. The cover features similar colors and a trio of felt embellishments. The inside is lined with a fun stripey pattern and a pocket for papers and things and the two notebooks are secured with Scor-Tape.

I am really happy with how these turned out, so thanks Betsy, for the awesome inspiration! :)

And thanks to you for stopping by--leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Supplies
1. Butterfly Card

Cardstock: (Stamper's Select white, Hibiscus Burst)--Papertrey Ink
Patterned paper: (yellow bitty box)--Papertrey Ink; (floral)--Basic Grey [Urban Prairie]
Stamps: (Butterfly Dreams, Blooming Button Bits)--Papertrey Ink
Ink: (Aqua Mist, Hibiscus Burst)--Papertrey Ink; (Archival Ink)--Ranger
Other: ribbon (Aqua Mist grosgrain)--Papertrey Ink; brads--Basic Grey; buttons (pink, yellow)--Papertrey Ink, (green)--Basic Grey; baker's twine--Martha Stewart; gems--Recollections; felt
Tools: butterfly die--Papertrey Ink; hole punch; Corner Chomper--We R Memory Keepers

2. Flowery Journal

Cardstock: (
Stamper's Select white, Hawaiian Shores, notepads)--Papertrey Ink
Patterned paper: (Top to bottom, on flowers)--Basic Grey, Cosmo Cricket, October Afternoon; (inside-liner and pocket)--October Afternoon
Stamps: Polka Dot Basics II--Papertrey Ink
Stickers: yellow letters, chocolate numbers--Basic Grey; label--October Afternoon
Ink: (Berry Sorbet)--Papertrey Ink
Other:
ribbon (Aqua Mist grosgrain; Ripe Avocado, Hawaiian Shores, Melon Berry twill; Raspberry Fizz satin)--Papertrey Ink; buttons--Papertrey Ink; baker's twine--Martha Stewart; gems--Recollections; felt; stick pins; embroidery floss; Copic marker; pocket--7 Gypsies
Tools:
Corner Chomper--We R Memory Keepers; border punch--Fiskars

10 comments:

*LittleMissT* said...

Very pretty cards, fresh and fun!

BethieJ said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I too LOVED what Betsy shared!! CONGRATS on your graduation next weekend.. how EXCITING!!!

Keva said...

Aww..these are adorable. I love it.

Jennifer Carter said...

These are awesome!! Love them! You did great with both projects. I loved what Betsy did and can't wait to try wrapping the little buttons around the bow! Too cute!!

Sue Ann said...

Very pretty ....... fun and bright and really just feel good cards!!!!

Ashley M said...

Very cute! The bright colors are so cheerful! Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

resmith said...

Beautiful cards! Love the colors.

Diane Jaquay said...

Your cards are fantastic, GREAT use of color!!

Betsy V said...

Elana, these projects are FABULOUS!! I LOVE the colors - they are so happy!! So glad I could help get your creative juices going!

Betsy

Susan said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. Your designs are great. Thank you for letting me visit.
http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
http://susan-livinghealthywithchallenges.blogspot.com