7.04.2010

Happy happy birthday, USA!

The summer is just flying by and I cannot believe that we are already at 4th of July!

I hope you all here in the US are enjoying a safe and happy day spent with loved ones. My holiday includes a family picnic, some tasty goodies (horseradish deviled eggs, fruit salad and homemade strawberry-watermelon sorbet are my contributions to the meal), and of course, fireworks. Sometime today, say a word of thanks (and a prayer, if you're the praying type) for all the soldiers here at home and far away. I have a couple in my life and although I may not agree with some things military, I am grateful everyday that they do what they do to allow me to live the privileged life that I have. God Bless America!

As a special little treat here, I thought I would share some cards today! I normally don't make cards for the 4th holiday, but I had a few requested by a customer and so off I went. I used mostly one stamp set for all three (this one by Papertrey Ink). I was amazed (and pleasantly surprised!) to find the variety of looks I could achieve using such a limited color scheme, theme and stamps. I am so happy with all three of these cards. What do you think?

The first one was very much inspired by the card in this post from Nichole Heady--I am so into rosettes lately and haven't a clue why. I basically used her same design, just smaller and, with a bit of distressing, made it into a vintage folksy Americana type card.

The second card is a celebration of our great nation, using Cupcake Collection and the sparklers from Let Freedom Ring. It is very hard to see in the photos, but the stars on the cupcake and the sparkler streams are glittered up--soo pretty in real life.

This last one is my favorite of the three. I was inspired by Christine Middlecamp's style in her Embellished Paper Doily series (see all 16 in her final post here). I picked up some of these Martha Stewart doilies a while back and this was the first one I have used. Just rummaged through my stickers to find some red.white.blue stickers and layered away. I sponged the edge of the doily with blue ink. On the rest of the card, I stamped a background by repeating a star image, and made a patterned strip by layering Polka Dot Basics and Text Style, topped with, of course, baker's twine. I *heart* baker's twine.

Notice that in two of these cards, I added in a nice light blue--not a traditional Fourth of July color--to temper the darker colors and add some variety. TIP: Don't be afraid to try something a little different!

Happy 4th of July!!

**supply list to come later**

6 comments:

Lori said...

oh i love all of these cards!! so patriotic and I love your paper medallion!! Great job!!

Ted said...

Elana, these are so lovely! :) I especially like the rosette and that darling cupcake card! :)

Amy said...

My favorite card is the first one with the rosette! You did such a great job with your layouts on all 3!

Laurie said...

WOW! You have been busy! All amazing cards! I love the ribbon treatment on the side of the 2nd card! Awesome!

Diane Jaquay said...

WOW!!! All of these are just FABULOUS!

Jen Carter said...

Love these all! They are all fabulous and I LOVE all the details!! Great job!